It isn’t news that exercise is vital to everyone’s daily life, but what about the women who don’t have the time to make it to the gym in between changing diapers and soccer practice?
Researchers from Pediatrics journal found that “new moms have a higher body mass index, consumed an average of 368 more calories a day and exercised an average of 1.5 few hours a week that women without children” and certified personal trainer Erin McGill says that it’s recommended that people get at least 20 minutes of physical activity every day. The great thing about having kids is that it’s very easy to incorporate simple workouts into your daily routine. Here are 5 easy ways to get some physical activity into your day.
- Take kids outside to play: kids love to run around, and it’s much better for them to be outside too so take the opportunity of their energy to try and catch up!
- Lunges and squats into daily routine: commercial breaks, waiting at the microwave or walking to the kids room are just a few ways to get some leg work outs in!
- Planks: 30 seconds to 1 minute, a couple times during each day is an easy way of getting some activity in and work on the abs as well!
- Take the stairs: elevators are the easier option, but stairs with raise your heart rate and help tone your legs!
- Baby weights: of course, don’t literally use your child as a weight. With smaller children, it’s easy (and fun for them) to incorporate them into your sit-ups, squats, twists or even yoga stretches by using them as extra weight and treating them to fun games with mommy.
Other currently popular workouts include P90x and Insanity, which are two DVD series that use MAX interval training (long bursts of max-intensity exercises with short periods of rest) resulting in up to 1,000 calories burnt in an hour! DVD workouts are great because you can do them at home during the kids’ naptime, while they are at school or playing in their play pin. Another easy at-home option is to check your FreeZone if you happen to have Cox Cable, they have a wide variety of workouts for every day.
Combine these workouts with a healthy diet, and you’ll be living the POSH Mommy life!